Capelin - a simple, but tasty fish
Fish must be included in the menu. But what to do if a large sea fish costs a lot of money, and there are a lot of bones in a river? There is an exit! Buy and cook your capelin! But how to do it right?
What is this fish?
Capelin belongs to the smelt family. Such a fish is purely marine and lives mainly in the Arctic, Pacific and Atlantic oceans. The capelin usually lives in the upper layers of the water, in the open sea, and swims to the coast only during the spawning period (that is why almost all the fish are caviar). The length of one fish is usually from 10 to 20 centimeters, weight does not exceed 60-80 grams.
Many are skeptical of capels, considering it to be a fish for the poor or poor people. But it is not. Since the fish lives in the oceans, it has all the unique beneficial properties of marine fish. It contains easily digestible protein, phosphorus, calcium, iodine, fluorine, vitamins D, A and group B, and more. So it's worth paying attention to the cap.
How to choose? How to store?
How to choose capelin? When buying, pay attention to the following important points and details:
- It is best to choose frozen capelin, since freshly delivered it from the extraction sites to different places in the world is rather problematic and difficult. Frost must be of high quality. If the fish has already begun to melt, then the purchase should be abandoned, because, probably, the product was subjected to defrosting and re-freezing.
- The best packaging option is vacuum bags. Be sure to check their integrity and integrity.
- Pay attention to the eyes of the fish. If they are cloudy or sunken, it indicates that the fish could die by its death, for example, from some kind of disease. Pupils should be black and eyes should be clear.
- If you decide to buy capelin by weight, pay attention to its appearance. The scales should fit tightly together. There should be no damage on the surface, as well as plaque, blotches and stains.
- Carefully inspect the gills. They must be hard and red. No slime beneath or should not be on them.
- Pay attention to the date of catching and freezing, as well as the terms and conditions of storage.
- It is better to purchase fish in specialized stores, rather than in spontaneous markets.
How to store capelin? If you purchased a fresh one, then rinse and dry it, and then put it in a vacuum package and send it to the freezer or use it immediately. In frozen form, this fish is stored for up to two or three months.
How to get rid of the smell?
Like any other fish, capelin is not the most pleasant smell, which is very clearly felt, especially when cooking. But how to get rid of it, how to cook the odorless capelin? Some useful tips:
- If the fresh fish smell strongly, then it can be dipped in water for half an hour or an hour with the addition of lemon juice (it can be replaced with vinegar) and spices. “Aroma” after such actions will not be so noticeable. You can also just sprinkle the fish with lemon juice.
- If you fry fish, and it smells strongly, then you can also drip a few drops of lemon juice into the oil. In addition, you can stifle the smell by putting a few slices of potatoes or onions in the pan.
- When cooking, open the windows and better close the door to the kitchen so that the smell does not spread around the house.
- Use the hood, this object also quite successfully eliminates odors.
How to cook?
How to cook capelin quickly and deliciously? There are several options:
- You can fry a fish. To do this, simply heat the oil in the pan and fry the fish on both sides. Pre-capelin must be salted and seasoned with condiments. To make a delicious crust, roll each fish in flour. But you should immediately warn that frying is not the best way to cook, so it’s better to give it up.
- No less tasty, but more useful is capelin baked in the oven. To cook it in this way, prepare a mixture of seasonings, salt and spices, oil it with each fish, sprinkle it with lemon juice, lay it on a baking sheet covered with parchment (soak the parchment better with oil so that nothing burns) and send it to 170-180 degrees oven. Prepare such fish quickly, about 20 minutes. Also, if you want, you can wrap capelin with foil.
- Try to cook this fish for a couple.
By the way, defrosting fish in the microwave or in hot water is undesirable. Just put capelin on a plate and wait for it to defrost itself.
- Try to make sprats out of capelin, it is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance. Ingredients you need:
- 1 kg of capelin;
- 1 cup of vegetable oil;
- 1 cup of strong tea brew;
- 2-3 handfuls of onion peel;
- 3-5 black peppercorns;
- 8-10 bay leaves;
- 1 tablespoon salt;
- ½ tablespoon of sugar.
- Wash the fish and clean it from guts and ridges.
- Prepare the fill. Onion peel is better to cook a decoction. Boil it in a saucepan with water (about a glass) for half an hour. Mix the resulting broth with tea brewing, butter, salt and sugar, add bay leaf and pepper.
- Lay the fish in layers in a thick-walled high frying pan or chafing dish, cover with liquid and stew on low heat for an hour and a half under the lid closed. Done!
You can cook delicious capelin caviar. Here's what you need for this:
- 500 grams of capelin roe;
- 1.5 liters of water;
- 150 grams of salt (it is better to use coarse grinding);
- 30-40 ml of sunflower oil (refined).
- First, prepare caviar. Gut capelin, remove the caviar bags. Open each bag with a sharp knife, reach for caviar. Put it in a bowl in which it will be salted.
- Now prepare brine - brine. Take 500 milliliters of water, boil and add salt, mix everything well.Pour the caviar into the solution.
- Stir the eggs with a fork for 3-4 minutes. Then drain the solution. To do this, take a sieve or a colander and cover it with a cloth or gauze folded several times.
- Prepare the next portion of brine (the proportions are the same), again fill the capelin, stir and drain.
- Do the same for the third time. When draining the solution should be almost transparent.
- Take the container in which you will keep the spawn, pour a couple of tablespoons of oil on the bottom. Spawn caviar and pour the remaining oil up. Add a teaspoon of salt, mix everything well and refrigerate overnight. Instead of butter, by the way, you can use mayonnaise.
- Caviar is tasty, salted and fragrant. Bon Appetit!
Buy capelin and cook from it a variety of delicious dishes!
How to cut a hole in the tile grinder
Simple rope candlestick
Choosing a headset in the bedroom: what you should pay attention
Single and Twin Heating Mat