Diet Detective's Top 7 Halloween Tips
Sign Up for Our Diet and Nutrition Newsletter
Thanks for signing up!
1. Swap It Out
Offer something bigger than the candy, maybe something your kids have wanted for a long time. See if they're willing to make a swap. Sound far-fetched? Maybe, but I've seen it work several times. You'd be amazed.
2. Donate It
Operation Gratitude is a volunteer organization that sends care packages (including Halloween candy) to U.S. troops deployed overseas. Box up your candy (up to 50 pounds per box) and help U.S. troops. See: http://www.operationgratitude.com/halloween-candy-buy-back-2012/
Check out www.candyexperiments.com and the book called Candy Experiments published by Andrews McMeel Publishing for some fantastic ideas that will give your kids something fun to do with their candy other than eating it. Here’s an experiment from the book that you can try at home with your kids.
The Incredible Growing Gummi Worm
Time: 2 hours to 2 days
Skill Level: Easy
Gummi candy grows bigger as it absorbs water. How big can your gummi get?
What you need:
Gummi candy containing gelatin, such as gummi worms,
Life Savers Gummies, or gummi fruit snacks
Bowl of water
What to do:
1. Put the gummi candy in the bowl of water.
2. Check the candy after a few hours. Is it expanding?
3. Wait a couple of days. How big did your gummi candy grow? (Since different gummi candies are made using different recipes, some don’t expand in water. If your candy didn’t grow, try a different kind.)
“A dehydrated gummi worm is an unhappy gummi worm,” says one scientist. That’s because gummi worms absorb water. Lots of water.
Gummi candies are made with gelatin, a tangle of long protein molecules. (The tangled molecules don’t break apart easily, which makes gummies stretchy.) When you put gelatin in water, the protein pulls the water into the tangle, and the candy expands. Eventually, it absorbs so much water that the molecules spread apart and untangle, which makes the candy fall apart more easily.
As the gummi candy absorbs more and more water, it starts to resemble a different kind of gelatin dessert. Jell-O is also made of gelatin, sugar and water. So when you expand your gummi candy, you’re making something like Jell-O.
If you want to find out how much water your gummi worm absorbed, weigh it before and after the experiment. The added weight is the extra water. (If your gummi candy breaks, try lifting it with a slotted spoon or pouring the water and candy onto a plate.)
From Candy Experiments by Loralee Leavitt/Andrews McMeel Publishing
4. Watch Out for Adult Halloween “Fast” Foods
There are so many adult offerings for unhealthy foods, mostly from fast-food restaurants like Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks and McDonald’s. Be aware that most of these are very high in calories. See some of the offerings and their calorie counts. Stay clear!!!
- Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin, 420 calories
- Starbucks Pumpkin Bread, 390 calories
- Starbucks Pumpkin Scone, 480 calories
- Dunkin' Donuts Pumpkin Bagel, 400 calories
- Dunkin' Donuts Pumpkin Crumb Cake Donut, 450 calories
- Pumpkin Donut, 360 calories
- Pumpkin Pie Donut, 380 calories
- Frozen Pumpkin Coffee Coolatta with Cream, medium, 790 calories
- Pumpkin Iced Coffee, medium, 170 calories
- Pumpkin Munchkin, 60 calories
- McDonald’s Baked Pumpkin Pie, 240 calories
- McCafé Pumpkin Spice Latte, medium, 340 calories
5. Go for Pumpkin Seeds
These seeds are little powerhouses. Sort, wash, dry and toast them in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes at 300 degrees. I just love to season these crunchy treats with garlic and onion powder and a bit of salt and pepper. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin K, zinc and protein. One ounce has 158 calories along with 8.57 grams of protein, 1.7 grams of fiber and almost 25 percent of the recommended daily value of much-needed iron. Iron is an essential mineral necessary for hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in the blood, and myoglobin, which carries oxygen in muscle tissue. Iron also helps regulate cell growth and differentiation. Pumpkin seeds also have zinc, which has been shown to help your immune system and prevent gastric ulcers, as well as plant sterols, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease. And last, but certainly not least, they are a fantastic source of essential omega-3 fatty acids ("essential" meaning that the body can't manufacture them and they must be obtained from food sources).
6. Watch Out for “Healthy” Treats
I recently noticed a trend more and more companies are offering products made specifically for Halloween. For example, there are Oreos and York Peppermint Patties with Pumpkin (i.e., orange) filling. But there are also some that could be considered “healthy.” So, be aware:
- Fruit Roll-Ups Scorin Strawberry Mini Rolls (with Halloween packaging) may have only 40 calories per mini, but they are still made of sugar (corn syrup and dried corn syrup) as well as partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil.
- Annie’s Halloween Bunny Grahams (Honey and Chocolate) Whole Grain Graham Snacks have a lot of “organic” ingredients, but organic or not, they still contain cane sugar as well as tapioca syrup, cane syrup (also sugar) and organic honey (another sweetener). On the other hand, one pouch has only 50 calories, which is really nice. Are these better than traditional snacks? Yes, but still not something you should eat without thinking first and limiting your portion.
- Kid Organic ZBar (Spooky S’mores): One bar has 120 calories, much less than a full candy bar but still high for a snack that is not a fruit. Keep in mind, one bar contains the equivalent of 4 teaspoons of granulated sugar.
7. Get Full
Make sure you give your kids a satisfying and nutritious lunch or dinner before trick-or-treating. They'll be less likely to pick at the candy bag if they’re full!
CHARLES PLATKIN, Ph.D., M.P.H., is a nutrition and public health advocate and founder of DietDetective.com. Copyright 2013 by Charles Platkin. All rights reserved. Sign up for the free Diet Detective newsletter at www.DietDetective.com
Video: How Tall Will You Be When You Grow Up?
Mac Miller friend: Ariana Grande was f---ing G helping him sober up
How I Overcame a Gambling Addiction That Landed Me In Prison
Dont Ask Haylie Duff If Shes Breastfeeding
20 Elevated Ways to Eat (and Drink) Watermelon ThisSummer
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is far bigger than previously thought
What Kind of Insurance Do I Need
Show report: Christopher Kane AW’12
Meghan Markles favoriete bodyproduct kost slechts 4,50
The Natural Ingredients Celebrities Swear by to BeatBloat
How to Setup and Use the Tor Network
Does This Obama Tombstone Take Halloween Decorating Too Far
5 Tricks to Line Your Eyes Like a Pro
How to Print Thumbnails
How to Get Your Stuff Back After Splitting up