How to care for viscose carpets?
The carpet is a bright decorative element of the interior, which can become its accent, to refresh and transform the design. Products made of viscose require special care, so it is important to know and follow some rules.
Viscose carpet: what is it?
Viscose carpets are quite popular, but, acquiring them, few delve into the features of the product, but in vain. There is such an accessory made of viscose, which is a material obtained by special processing of cellulose. That is, in fact, carpets are made of raw materials, according to the characteristics resembling paper, and this is what determines the main characteristics.
Interestingly, viscose is often called “artificial silk”, which is explained by the characteristic brilliance and pleasant smooth texture of this material.
Advantages and disadvantages
First you should consider the pros:
- Viscose carpets have an attractive and aesthetic appearance. Outwardly, they are very similar to natural silk products.
- Relatively low cost, especially when compared with the price of wool or silk carpets.
- Viscose is a synthetic hypoallergenic material that does not cause undesirable reactions. And therefore such a carpet can be spread even in a room belonging to an allergy or asthmatic.
- Pile is not electrified, does not accumulate static electricity and practically does not attract dust.
- Huge selection of all sorts of colors. This is due to the fact that dyeing viscose is much easier than natural materials such as silk or wool.
- If the manufacturer used high-quality dyes, the carpet will retain the original shade, without being subjected to fading due to exposure to direct sunlight.
- Viscose carpet pile is very soft, pleasant to the touch, airy and light.
Now we estimate the cons:
- Since viscose is made from cellulose, it quickly absorbs moisture and is exposed to its negative effects. For this reason, carpets cannot be laid in rooms with high humidity. In addition, no water is allowed on the surface.
- Complicated care. Pollution is quickly absorbed and difficult to remove, literally eating into the fibers.And if we consider that wet cleaning is unacceptable, then some stains can remain forever and permanently spoil the product.
- Pile inelastic, so it can be damaged by mechanical stress.
- Viscose carpet can be quite slippery and, accordingly, dangerous for young children.
- This material quickly ignites, so it definitely should not be laid near fire sources, such as a fireplace.
How to make the right choice?
How to choose not only attractive, but also high-quality and durable viscose carpet? When buying it is worth paying attention to a few points, and one of the most important is compliance with generally accepted quality standards, which is confirmed by certificates. Such documentation at the request of the buyer must provide the seller.
The second important criterion is the manufacturer. The most sought-after, popular and high-quality are Belgian viscose carpets, characterized by excellent performance, a wide range and variety of colors. But similar products are made in other countries.
Also worth pile.It should be soft, pleasant to the touch, smooth and having the characteristic viscose shine. Rate and length: the larger it is, the more difficult it will be care. Long-haired carpets are more attractive and soft, but over time, the fibers can wrinkle and sag. Short nap is easy to clean and lasts longer.
The color and quality of the dye are important. The brighter the shade, the greater the likelihood that the manufacturer used chemical aggressive agents for dyeing. In addition, an overly bright carpet can catch the eye and distract attention from other interior elements. Therefore, it is better to give preference to calm tones. And to assess the quality of the dye, you can hold on to the pile with a slightly damp finger or light cloth. If you see traces, then low-quality, low-pricing dyes were used in the manufacture.
How to care for viscose carpets? This should be done carefully and carefully, observing the following rules:
- Lay the carpet should only be on a dry and preferably smooth surface. Moisture penetrates the material, and irregularities can stretch or deform the fibers of viscose.
- To avoid loosening lint and wear, you should regularly rotate the carpet. This will reduce the load and evenly distribute it, as well as prevent the formation of “bald patches” in areas with high traffic.
- Avoid coarse mechanical stresses: do not place heavy items of furniture on the carpet, do not knock out the product, do not stretch it.
- For regular cleaning only dry cleaning is used, as a wet one will significantly ruin the appearance of the carpet and impair its characteristics. The best option is to use a vacuum cleaner, but this method also has several features. First, choose a soft brush attachment, as a hard brush can damage the pile. Secondly, do not turn on the device at maximum speed, otherwise the fibers are deformed and damaged. Third, vacuum the carpet in the direction of the pile, that is, along it, and not across. Fourthly, viscose carpets are recommended to vacuum not only from the front side, but also from the purl.
- If water is spilled on the surface, immediately blot the pile with a dry cloth that absorbs moisture or a cloth.
- The most important question is how to get the spot out.First, it should be done as soon as possible, because the sooner measures are taken, the more chances there are for the complete removal of pollution. Secondly, use specialized detergents for products made from viscose or delicate materials. They form air foam and contain gentle components, which will minimize the amount of moisture and preserve the color and structure of the fibers. Thirdly, in any case do not allow water to enter the product. To do this, use a porous sponge, squeeze it thoroughly and treat the contaminated area only with foam.
- Twice a year, the carpet must be ventilated, bringing it to fresh air and gently shaking it. This will remove not only dust and moisture, but also extraneous odors that had time to be absorbed into the material.
Tip: You can use a home remedy and sprinkle salt on the carpet, and then gently sweep it or vacuum the product. This will absorb and remove minor impurities.
Look after the carpet properly, and it will last a long time.
Gift Wrap Pillow
Crochet bunny. Amigurumi
Pillow - Cockerel Toy
Hanger in STAR WARS style
Masterclass on making cards for dad