How to Change the Icon of Removable Drives
Create your icon, or find one online.A good size is 34 pixels square.
Open Notepad to create your Autorun file.
Type[AutoRun]in the first line.
Name your drive in the second line:label=Name
Specify your icon in the third line:ICON=your-icon-file.ico. If you wanted to call your drive "My USB Drive" with an icon named "myusbdrive.ico"
Click File, then Save As.Change the file type to "All" and name it AUTORUN.inf
Yourautorun.inffile would look like this:
label=My USB Drive
Keep in mind that the ICON name should match the name of the icon you wish to use.
- Depending on the label you choose, and the location of your icon file, you may need to wrap the label and folder names in quotes (") to handle long filenames.
- It has been reported that onsomesystems your ".INF" file extension may need to be capitalized in order to work.
Ensure that both yourautorun.infand any.icofiles are in the ROOT of your removable drive, instead of a folder, unless you have specified the correct folder for the icon in your .inf file.
Highlight both files.Right click and select properties, set files to "hidden" to hide files from view.
QuestionDoes this really work?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, it does. Make sure the icon file you want to use is in the .ico file format and in the autorun.inf file; also, make sure you put "ICON" in all caps. Lastly, make sure everything is spelled correctly and there are no typos.Thanks!
QuestionIs there any way to keep this icon even after the USB is formatted?Community AnswerYes. You would have to temporarily move the autorun file and icon to another drive or computer before formatting.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get the icon picture to show on the menu?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust eject the drive and plug it back in, and it should change.Thanks!
QuestionDoes my image have to be a .inf file?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYour image cannot be a .inf file. Your image is saved as .ico.Thanks!
Can I highlight the two files and select view at the top, then click 'hide selected items' to get rid off the annoying files?
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- You will need to remove the drive, then plug it back in to see the changes.
- If the AUTORUN.inf and icon files are an eyesore, you can hide them (right click, click Properties, check the "Hidden" box).
- This is a great way to get past the "11 Character Drive Name" restriction.
- This also works on internal hard drives, cd-rs, and any other drives that support Autorun.
- If you have a.PNGimage which you wish to set as your drive icon, visit an icon conversion site, upload the file, then download the converted file in.ICOformat. Use the converted file as the icon of your drive.
- This Autorun.inf file will not work on a drive where Autorun mode is turned off or where an antivirus program can rename or remove it (ex: Autorun.inf.ren).
- Ensure that the icon is saved in the root of the drive, with the autorun file.
- Make sure you save the autorun file as .inf instead of the default .txt.
- This does not work on floppy drives, because they have no Autorun feature.
Video: How to Change Drive icon of Pendrive | Storage Device 😎
E.l.f. Bronzer Golden - .53oz
Five Beauty Products for Men and Women
Discover a new London hotel with art-deco interiors and awesome views
Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone Use Paparazzi to Promote Charities
What Is Cosplay Sex And Should You Try It
Sophie Turner Just Cut and Dyed Her Hair Khaleesi-Blonde To Bid Goodbye to Game of Thrones
Spring Summer 2014 Headwear Trend 13: The Trend of White
THIS Star Is Set To Play Marilyn Monroe In A Major Biopic
3 of The Best Burger Recipes for Great Summer BBQ’s
DIY Peppermint Soap For Christmas
Secrets of Couples Who Have Lots of Sex
Sometimes what mom wants the baby isnt into
MS and Your Menstrual Cycle: Does One Affect the Other
Date: 06.12.2018, 17:08 / Views: 54432