How to Improve Straw Textured Hair
Straw textured hair can be frustrating. Your hair may feel hard or dry, and the strands may separate. This common problem can be fixed with simple changes to your hair care routine. By washing your hair properly, choosing the correct products, and not further damaging your hair you can make your hair smooth and shiny again.
Establishing a Healthy Hair Care Routine
Wash your hair properly.Washing your hair too harshly can cause your hair to pull apart, making the straw texture worse. Use kid gloves when you wash your hair to avoid tossing your hair more than necessary.
- Only wash the roots of your hair. This is where the grease builds up and will help prevent stripping your hair of its natural oils.
- When you are finished in the shower, the last thing you should do is rinse your hair with cold water. Hot water is damaging to your hair and creates dryness and frizz.
Use the correct tools.Comb your hair with a wide tooth comb when it is wet. Don’t brush your hair when it is dry because it will only increase breakage and straw texture.Dry your hair by wrapping it in a T-shirt, instead of a towel. This helps retain moisture and avoid damage.
Create a hair care schedule.Washing your hair every day will strip it of its natural oils that are good for your hair, so it is important to wash every other day. The oils in your hair will hydrate your strands and help repair the straw texture.
- Condition your hair every day, whether you wash your hair or not.
- Don’t wash your hair too little, otherwise product will buildup.
Adopt healthy hair habits.There are so many things we do that are damaging to our hair. If your hair is straw textured it is important to be extra careful of what you are doing that is damaging your hair.
- Before you go outside in the sun wear a hat or get a SPF spray that is for hair.
- As much as you might love your hot tools they are only damaging your hair more. Give yourself a break from the hot tools and let your air dry naturally or put it in a braid or bun.
- If you absolutely must use hot tools only use them occasionally. The most important thing is to not leave the hot tool on one spot of hair for too long, keep it moving.
- Try not to dye your hair while you are fixing the texture because it could damage your hair further.
Purchasing Beneficial Products
Choose quality shampoo.Avoid shampoo with sulfate. You can find sulfate-free shampoo in the natural section of the store.Choose shampoo for dry hair that will hydrate your strands. Shampoos with soy and milk have proteins in it that will help your straw textured hair be strong and smooth.
- Don’t use products that will make your hair dryer. Some products are actually more hurtful than they are helpful. Be careful that you aren’t using products that are damaging your hair. Avoid products with baking soda, sulfate, alcohol, and silicones.
Get various types of conditioners.It is important to get conditioner without sulfate and harsh chemicals. Get regular conditioner to use every time you shower to help retain moisture. Use a deep conditioner weekly to repair damage that is inflicted on your hair. When you get out of the shower, use a leave in conditioner on your ends to prevent frizz and tangles.
Get a professional treatment.If your hair is very dry you can get a treatment at a salon to help bring it back to life. There are various types of salon treatments to revamp your hair. The Nanomax Hair Treatment is a brush that mists your hair, infusing it with proteins that lasts for five weeks. A conditioning treatment and vapor are applied to your hair, making your hair stronger. The Bhave Rescue Hair Treatment is a keratin treatment that does not straighten your hair, but it makes your hair smoother and stronger. This treatment is relatively inexpensive and should be done before you cut or dye your hair.
Choose products that seal your hair.There are many options for sealant products. Mousses and gels are great for controlling frizz but weigh your hair down and harden in your hair, causing the straw texture to worsen.
- Choose products with oils in them such as argon oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and Moroccan oil. .
- Try products with cranberries and acai berries in them because they have nutrients and vitamins that strengthen your hair.
- Put the products in wisely. Only put sealant product in your hair when it is wet. If you seal your hair when it is dry it will make your hair hard and heavy. Only put the product on your ends, if you put it on the roots it will increase product buildup.
Trying Natural Products
Make your own hair masks.Many products you buy at the store have harsh chemicals in them that damage your hair. You can try making hair masks at home from regular ingredients you have in your kitchen to improve your hair texture.
- Mash up an avocado then add a little bit of peppermint essential oil. Apply the mask for 15 minutes to clean hair and then rinse.
- Mix a banana and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mash until it is the texture of a smoothie. Leave it in your hair for 30 minutes then wash it out.
- Combine one cup of pureed pumpkin and 1-2 tablespoons of honey. Let the mask sit in your hair for 15 minutes and then rinse.
Use oils to improve your hair texture.Put a pea size amount of coconut oil or olive oil on the ends of your wet hair. Leave it in for 30 minutes then wash it out. This will help moisturize your hair and fix the texture. You can do this as often as you deem necessary.
Wash your hair with a mud wash.Product build up can be fixed by washing your hair with rhassoul clay. Use around 1-2 tablespoons of rhassoul clay mixed with water. Get your hair wet then apply the mud wash. Scrub the wash into your hair then let it sit for about 5 minutes. Rinse your hair with water until it runs clear. Finish by washing with apple cider vinegar and rinsing again with cold water to thoroughly clear your hair of product.
Eat healthy foods.Eating foods with antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients are going to make your hair stronger and help repair the texture.
- Salmon, sardines, and mackerel have omega-3 fatty acids that help your hair be shiny and full.
- Have spinach and kale for iron, beta carotene, folate, and vitamin C. These will help keep your hair moisturized so it does not break or get as dry.
- Green peppers, citrus, and strawberries have the vitamin C that is necessary to make your hair strong.
- Eat food with healthy oils such olive, peanut, safflower, and sunflower. These will bring shine to your hair.
QuestionI have dry hair. When people say only wash your hair twice a week is that shampoo and condition?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf your hair is very dry you should try to use a shampoo and conditioner that's targeted towards dry hair or shampoo that's meant to make your hair straighter because it will help. Wash your hair every other day and try brushing your hair less. Allow it to air dry and try to avoid heated hair appliances, because it will add to the breakage and dryness.Thanks!
QuestionCan I brush straw-like hair?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI often find that my hair becomes smoother after brushing it. However, it can cause more breakage if your hair is very dry, so brush it carefully.Thanks!
QuestionMy hair has always been my pride and joy, but ever since I bleached it, it is breaking and falling out. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse natural oils to get rid of the dryness in your hair. If you hair is thicker, use coconut oil, if its thinner use aloe vera. See a doctor if you think that this could be a symptom of something else.Thanks!
- Don’t use hair product with baking soda, sulfate, alcohol, or silicones.
- Wash your hair every other day and condition everyday
- Don’t let product build up in your hair
- Avoid using hot tools
Things You'll Need
Wide tooth comb
Leave in conditioner
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Português: , Français: , Deutsch:
Video: How To Fix EXTREMELY Damaged Hair At Home
10 of the Most OMG Moments from the 2019 Video MusicAwards
Heres How Long You Can Actually Keep Food After the Expiration Date
How to Get Your Child out of Bed in the Morning
How to Deal With an Incompetent Boss
Drapers Footwear Accessories Awards Winners
What Your Sign Says About the Guys You Fall For
How to Sleep Better During Pregnancy
How to Get Your Mind Off a Girl
Career lessons from Susan Boyle’s success
How to Plan for Retirement in Your 30s
11 Times Celebs Reminded Us The Bodysuit Is The Ultimate WardrobeStaple