Intercostal neuralgia - symptoms, treatment, prevention
In today's article we will understand what intercostal neuralgia is, consider its symptoms and methods of treatment at home.
Intercostal neuralgia is an irritation or squeezing of the intercostal nerves, accompanied by severe pain, which in its intensity resembles renal colic. Pain is intermittent and can increase with sneezing, sudden movements or severe coughing.
By nature, this pathological process is included in the category of tunnel neuropathies. The nerve trunk is located in the intercostal space and passes through the channel of connective tissue. The pinching effect leads to the fact that the ligaments, bones and muscles pinch the nerve, resulting in pain.
Causes of Neuralgia
There are many causes of a pinched nerve. We are talking about lesions and diseases of the spine.Other diseases, including diabetes mellitus, rheumatic polyarthritis, disorders of the ligaments, and others, contribute to the development of the disease.
The list of reasons for the appearance of intercostal neuralgia includes professional factors that cause tension in the musculoskeletal system, disorders in the development of the nervous system.
According to statistics, in 80 percent of cases intercostal neuralgia causes sciatica or osteochondrosis. In this case, the disease in question is the main symptom of ailments.
As for the factors contributing to the development of pathological processes, including injuries, strong loads on the supporting apparatus, the postoperative state of the spine and frequent hypothermia. According to doctors, the disease is often encountered after the fiftieth anniversary. This is due to age-related changes that the locomotor system is subjected to.
Symptoms of intercostal neuralgia
Any disease has symptoms, and intercostal neuralgia is no exception. About what constitutes a disease, why and when it appears, we figured out. Now consider the symptoms.
Heartache- the main symptom.The pain is neuropathic in nature and can be dull, aching, unpleasantly burning or acute. It is caused by diseases related to the nervous system. Some patients appear sporadically, while others suffer constantly. Increases during high motor activity, sneezing, loud speaking, sudden movements of the body and changes in body position.
Pain sensations when probing the body. This may be the rib cage, the spine and the intercostal space. In the segment of the chest, in which a sharp pain manifests itself, there is a damaged nerve fragment. The pain disappears with time, due to the necrosis of the nerve root. As a result, the patient calms down, but this does not mean that the illness has gone along with the pain syndrome. The state of a person is changing, new sensations appear, among which are heaviness in the chest and shallow breathing.
Low back pain. Such a reflection of the pain syndrome does not allow us to claim about the primary source of nerve damage.
There are intercostal neuralgia and other symptoms. It's about tangible muscle contractions, twitches, intense sweating and changes in skin tone, which can turn red or pale. In some areas, the sensitivity of the skin is reduced.
Often, patients take the "antalgic" posture, especially with osteochondrosis. The body tilts toward the healthy side. Such manipulations with the body help to stretch the intercostal space, which reduces pressure and reduces pain. In this technique, the important role played by fear, due to the expectation of the appearance of pain. The suffering person tries to be in that position as long as possible.
If there is any suspicion of intercostal neuralgia, be sure to consult your doctor.
Treatment of intercostal neuralgia at home
The appearance of acute, sharp, not letting go of pain in the intercostal space is the first messenger of intercostal neuralgia. Medical practice shows that the disease appears in people of middle age and older generation. It is accompanied by bouts of pain appearing during any movements, short breathing and coughing.
If you experience these symptoms, go for an examination to rule out the possibility of heart disease. If the results of the examination confirmed the presence of neuralgia, the doctor will prescribe drugs that stop spasms and pain.
Not every person and not always have the opportunity to contact the clinic. In this case, it is important to know how intercostal neuralgia is treated at home. I'll tell you about it.
- Fighting the disease at home is reduced to relieving pain through dry heat, which helps relieve muscle spasms. To do this, wear a wool sweater, preheating the sore point with mustard plasters, a bag of heated sand or a heating pad.
- During exacerbation, physiotherapy, healthy lifestyle and relaxation will help to quickly get in shape. It does not hurt to give up bad habits and avoid stressful situations. Achieving the goal will contribute to the complex of vitamins, which will accelerate the restoration of damaged structures.
- Pay special attention to sleeping mode. From soft mattresses refuse in favor of a special shield or a flat and solid board. Refrain from lifting weights and do not make sudden movements.
- An integrated approach from the sessions of therapeutic massage, special physical culture and manual therapy will speed up the restoration of the natural position of the upper spine and help stop slouching.
- Healing baths. Four tablespoons of crushed sage pour a glass of cold water, wait an hour and strain. Pour the prepared infusion into the bath, add 4 tablespoons of sea salt, stir and soak in water for 10 minutes. The course duration is ten procedures.
- Grass autumn crocus. Part shredded dry tubers, pour twelve pieces of apple cider vinegar and leave for 2 weeks. Use the grinder. Taking inside is strictly prohibited, as the plant is poisonous.
Self-treatment with the use of painkillers and other drugs without the supervision of a physician can lead to the disease becoming chronic! Be sure to consult your doctor!
Choose the appropriate treatment of neuralgia, procedures and drugs that promote rapid recovery and prevent the transition to the running form, only a doctor can!
How to treat neuralgia in a clinical setting
Consider the treatment of intercostal neuralgia in a clinical setting. Diagnosis of the disease is carried out by x-ray and electrocardiography. As with any other disease, be it chickenpox or cystitis, you can cope with neuralgia yourself, but the quick result is provided only by treatment under the supervision of a physician.
- If the examination confirms that the patient has intercostal neuralgia, the doctor will select the optimal treatment. The first thing is pain. For this purpose, analgesics are used in the form of injections, tablets and suppositories. After that, the complex prescribed, preventing epilepsy, drugs and antidepressants.
- Relaxants are used to relieve muscle spasms in the affected area. They help to quickly return a tense muscle to a relaxed state. After the treatment, the cramps go away.
- If a patient suffers severe attacks, the doctor blocks them with lidocaine. It is not uncommon for patients to have poor tolerability of intramuscular injections. In this case, special patches are applied that release lidocaine into the skin.
- An equally important step in the fight against neuralgia is the elimination of tissue edema. It appears in the pathological education. For this purpose, diuretics and medications are used to increase blood circulation at the problem point.
- It is imperative to start the repair process of the damaged nerve. If you do this, the pain will go away.In addition to anti-inflammatory drugs, patients are prescribed vitamin complexes that help strengthen the immune system and the nervous system.
The patient himself can accelerate the recovery. During therapy, it is recommended that you carefully choose clothing to wear. Wardrobe items should not squeeze the chest, restrain movement or fit the body. Women are not allowed to replace model bras with sports analogs. It is also better to abandon active movements, get enough sleep and pay attention to relaxing exercise.
Prevention of intercostal neuralgia
A few words about the prevention of the disease. It is recommended to avoid colds and hypothermia. If inflammatory processes appear in closely located tissues and organs, begin to fight them immediately.
- Manual therapy is good in terms of restoring the correct position of the upper spine. It has a beneficial effect on the condition of ligaments and muscles, restoring natural functions.
- Japanese massage - pressing fingers on the active points of the human body,which are directly related to the affected organ. This technique stimulates the protection of the body and contributes to the psychological calm of the person.
- No less effective is acupuncture. The structure of one course includes several stages. To obtain the result, three courses are conducted with pauses of 60 days.
- Therapeutic massage based on warming ointments relaxes the muscles in the chest and eliminates pain. Not to mention the exercises that are regularly performed on simulators therapeutic nature.
I hope, thanks to the material, you will restore your health faster. Use preventive measures in a comprehensive manner to mobilize the body's reserve forces.
A combination of crazy quilt and embroidery techniques in the stunning works of masters
How to get rid of dry hair
How to make a manicure with a sponge
Marble Envelope Paper
Monkey Pattern Baby Hat
What is caffeine and what it is eaten with