Should I Take Salt Before a Long Run?
When you're running, you lose electrolytes (such as salt) through sweat. Since electrolytes help your body retain fluids and may prevent muscle cramps, you need to replace them when running more than 90 minutes.
How to Do a "Salt Shot"
Another option for maintaining your sodium levels is a "salt shot" before you start your run/race. This is especially a good option for those runners who don't like the taste of sports drinks or whose sensitive stomachs can't handle them. Here's how to do it:
- Empty a salt packet (from McDonald's or other fast food places) onto your hand.
- Lick the salt off your hand.
- Drink some water immediately after.
- If you're doing a run longer than 2 hours, you may want to take another one halfway through your run/race. You can carry them in a pocket or running belt. A word of caution: If you carry them in a pocket or somewhere they may get wet from sweat, put them in a small Ziploc bag so they don't get soaked.
- If you're running in a long distance race such as a half or full marathon, the medical aid stations will have salt packets, so you can always stop at an aid station for some extra salt.
Other Sodium Options
If you don't like sports drinks and also don't want to do salt shots, there are some other easy and convenient options for replacing sodium lost through sweat. Some runners choose to eat pretzels or other salty snacks during their runs to get some extra salt. Another option is to take a salt tablet halfway through your long run.
Runners can also add some salt to their pre-run meals. You can sprinkle a little salt on your pasta, potatoes, or whatever carbohydrates you eat the night before a race. If you're having a smoothie for breakfast before a long run, add a pinch of salt to it.
Video: Sous Vide SEASONING EXPERIMENT - Should you SALT BEFORE OR AFTER Sous Vide?
Joseph Turvey x River Island Clothing
Does Raspberry Ketone Promote Weight Loss
How To Pack A Suitcase Like A Pro
How to Become a Blacksmith
The Watch Terms You Need To Know
How to Draw a Charge in Basketball
Loneliness Is Bad For Your Health
15 Nifty Medium and Long Red Hairstyles and Haircuts
How to Stop a Horse That Tries to Buck
How to Make Friends Easily if Youre a Teen
How to Transfer Images from Computer to Mobile Phone
Celebrity Bridesmaid: Lady Gaga Shows Off Toned-Down Look At Best Friend’sWedding